Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Lock-Jaw Pro HD Collars

The Story:
Most people are used to those metal spring collars and while I have 2 pairs of them I don't really like them. When we used them on iron plates the collars were longer then some plates so it would hit the ground. The good part was that we could use it as a kick stand so the barbell didn't roll away. They are also a hassle to take on and off and the rubber handles pop off all the time. All small things but still annoy me. When I was at the store I saw some of these Lock-Jaw Pro HD Collars and it looks slim and a lot quicker to use. There are two versions the lock and the regular. The lock pros have a red tap that locks the collars. I was told that the others can pop open some times. It wasn't that much more for the lock pros, so I ended up getting the Lock-Jaw Pro HD Collars I bought mine for $44.00 from Total Fitness USA.

The Review:
Not all collars are made a like. These collars were very nice to use. They make for a quick plate change and are perfect for those WODs that require you to do so. It may shave a few seconds off of your time and while some people tell me a few seconds do not matter. I tell them a few seconds can be the difference between a7 minute and a sub 7 time. A few seconds can be the difference between a new PR. A few seconds can be the difference between 1st and last and every second counts.

I have noticed that over time the collars are starting to wear and you cannot read the words on it anymore but that is ascetics. 

The collars also rub against my bumper plates causing a ring to form around it and can actually start to rub rubber off of the plates.



Pros:
Quick to take off and on
Not too much slide on bar
Slim Design, easy storage and use 

Cons:
Tears/rubs rubber off of bumper plates (smooth bumpers so far not on my Hi-Temps)



No comments:

Post a Comment